Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Nothing's Impossible...

Personal confession time...

I am pretty bad at having daily scripture study. There. I said it. I LOVE the scriptures and have a testimony of their truthfulness and personal examples of their help, but I happen to be much more drawn to the guidance given through our modern-day leaders. Yes, I know that talks from General Authorities are considered modern-day scripture so technically it counts, but I can't help reaching for the General Conference Ensign over my quad when it's study time :(

This morning (study is so much more effective when you are awake, alert, and able to spend the rest of the day processing it, don't you think?) I, once again, reached for that Ensign. I flipped to a random talk I hadn't yet re-read and it was one by Jorge Zeballos, of the Seventy. I realized that some of my most memorable and favorite talks are from members of the Seventy. Is it because they have been waiting their whole lives to say that ONE THING? B-Dawg, my awesome sister, pointed out that they are often shorter, too, which makes every sentence packed with inspiration. But I digress...

The talk today was titled "Attempting the Impossible" and I found it so inspiration it warrants its own blog entry (for both of you who read it...)

It states that it feels impossible to follow the command to be perfect, but it is possible because Heavenly Father KNOWS and LOVES us.

1. KNOWS: Because he knows us He 'does not expect that we do what is waht we cannot achieve. The command to become perfect, as He is, encourages us to achieve the best of ourselves, to discover and develop the talents and attributes with which we are blessed by a loving Eternal Father, who invites us to realize OUR POTENTIAL AS CHILDREN OF GOD. He knows us; He knows of our capacities and our limitations.'


2. LOVES: Because he Loves us He will help us. "We are not alone. The most marvelous and powerful helps from which a human being may seek are ALWAYS available. First is the generous and loving hand of the Eternal Father, who desires that we return to His presence forever. As our Father, He is always willing and desireous to forgive our errors and weaknesses and the sins we may commit."

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know about you, but I'm relieved.

Inspiration and knowledge come to both our hearts and our heads, right? Well... the information in this talk was something I have heard before and understood in my HEAD, but reading today really touched my HEART. It is not impossible to achieve perfect. We simple have to try our BEST.

The Heavenly Father who created you knows what your BEST is. Don't try to fool Him.

4 comments:

  1. Wait...am I one of the "Both"???
    I'm gonna listen to this on my way home today

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear friend, this was exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you. He loves us, and He knows us. He will help us. Bless his name forever. That knowledge IS so comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Instead of scripture reading or Ensign-reading, I've done blog-reading for my morning study. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm right there with you, sister. I find myself reading the Ensign much more than my quad.

    And I just had to comment that when I read that your favorite talks are often from members of the Seventy, and you said because they waited their whole life to deliver the message and your sister said because they are shorter... my mind totally read it like the people themselves were shorter... not the talks. Haha!

    ReplyDelete