Tuesday, May 11, 2010

I love to see the temple...

Ok, seriously, we have to talk about how awesome the temple is. Here's my contribution.... IT ROCKS!

I know the temple is a very spiritual, holy place and I'm not trying to sound like I don't respect it. I just feel really excited about it right now because I had the best night at the temple. 

(The temple is God's house on Earth. His spirit dwells there consistently and it is only in that holy, sacred of a building that essential ordinances can be performed, some for ourselves, some for those who have died without the opportunity to do it themselves including baptism, receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost, washing and annointings (think Aaron and Moses here), endowment, and sealings. All necessary to enter God's presence.) 

Ben and I have been going to the temple once a week since we got engaged. I work close to the temple which encourages us to meet there, and it has been such a blessing to us-- helping us grow closer to each other and Heavenly Father. The longest ordinance to perform for those who have passed on is the Endowment (requiring 2 hours for one person v. 8 or so people in one hour for the others), so I often feel guilty if we perform a different ordinance. So we usually do an Endowment session when we attend the temple. 

Tonight Ben suggested we do washing and annointings instead. There is only room for three women to participate in that service at a time, so I was one of three tonight. A fourth came in half an hour later to join us, so I retreated so she could have a turn. As I was dressing out of the uniform I was asked by an ordinance worker (someone who has been asked to be a volunteer at the temple) if I would join a sealing session that was already in progress. So, ladies and gentlemen, I got to do washings and annointings AND sealings in one night! Two different ordinances for many different women! It felt so wonderful to be a part of so much good being done. 

YAY TEMPLE WORK!!!

When I finished I went to the women's dressing room to change back to my original clothing and talked with a volunteer who'd been assigned to keep an eye on the dressing room. 

"It took me a long time to realize the men don't have someone who stays in the dressing room." -Volunteer
"Then why do we?" -Me
"Oh because they asked me to."
"Well good for you for just doing what you're told."
"That's the only way to work for the Lord."

What a good point. I'm going to remember that. 

2 comments:

  1. I loved it when we got to do two ordinances in one day when we were up there. It's so special. Glad you had such a good night at the temple!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what happened to this blog???? update please!!!

    ReplyDelete